J. Richard Pfeffer, DMD, MDS
I grew up with a love and knowledge of the oral healthcare field, as my father and my uncle both practiced dentistry in the Altoona area for many years. As an orthodontist, I have the great opportunity to help the people in my community improve not only the appearance of their smiles, but their confidence and self-esteem as well.
I have put together a team of professionals who are sincere in their devotion and compassionate about our patients and their families. With over 70 years of combined experience working in the dental field, there is nothing we won’t do to make your experience with us exceptional.
Since I have been in practice, I have enjoyed establishing close relationships with many different people who come into my office, some of which have developed into long-lasting friendships. It is always a great thing to see my patients leave happier than when they entered because of their beautiful smiles!
A Commitment to Education
- Juniata College – Bachelor of Science in Biology, 1972
- University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine – Doctorate of Dental Medicine, 1976
- University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine – Master of Dental Science/Certification in Orthodontics, 1979
Excellence in orthodontics requires dedication to keeping up-to-date with ever-changing technology and treatment methods. I regularly participate in a variety of continuing education classes in order to give the highest quality of orthodontic care to my patients, who deserve nothing less than the best.
I am the only orthodontist in Blair County who has achieved the certification process of the American Board of Orthodontics.
- American Board of Orthodontics
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Pennsylvania Dental Association
- Great Lakes Association of Orthodontists, Pennsylvania Representative
- Pennsylvania Association of Orthodontists, Past President
- Blair County Dental Society, Past President
Outside the Office
As a native of Altoona, I am so proud to have the chance to make such a positive difference in my home town. My wife, Karen, and I raised our two children, Paige and Joe, here. I enjoy spending time outdoors, so when I’m not in the practice or with my family, I can be found hunting, fishing, hiking, and taking our dog, Natasha, out for walks.
My commitment to my community spreads beyond my practice. I believe it is very important to serve those in need and I have been active in the Easter Seals of Central Pennsylvania, of which I am a Past President and Board Member for over 20 years. I have also served as a volunteer with the American Cancer Society and other community organizations. I am on various committees in my church, and am a member of the Jaffa Shrine and Masonic Brotherhood.